Woman to Woman Mentoring (W2W) is a program designed to assist the growing number of women that do not have an effective support system in transitioning from their present circumstances into an employment environment. The W2W program brings together a mentee/participant with a mentor/participant to develop a one-to-one relationship allowing for a unique mentoring process.
Although each partnership between mentor and mentee will be slightly different depending on the needs of the participants, the goal remains the same; to empower the mentee to make positive steps towards success with the assistance and encouragement of a partner who has achieved success in the business world.
One of the key program goals is to foster a commitment between mentor and mentee to develop a relationship which allows for the enhancement of interpersonal skills, business acumen and real life skills that accelerate success in the business world. Other goals include:
- Build self-esteem
- Support relationship building
- Build trust and support between women
- Educate and share resources
- Broaden women’s horizons
- Develop the feeling of empowerment
- Inspire women
W2W will focus primarily on women making the transition from their present environment, whether in an educational, vocational, academic or home setting to the workforce.
In order to participate, the following criteria must be met:
- The Mentee is a woman who lacks experience in the work environment due to social, economical or historical disadvantage.
- The Mentor is a woman who has achieved and experienced a significant understanding and mastery in the work environment.
W2W creates a learning environment that will be an invaluable resource to women as mentees, aspiring mentors and the community at large. The foundation for this learning environment is built on the following principles:
- Commitment: W2W shall inspire relationships that focus on the development of strong interpersonal skills, and instill a sense of hope in the future of the mentee.
- Responsibility: The focus of W2W is to empower women in establishing goals and following through on commitments.
- Success: W2W will expand the perspective of women in transition to become aware of and improve the possibility of success in the workplace.
- Support: An individual is dramatically influenced by their support system. W2W wants to insure that the mentee participant has a caring and empowering learning environment.
Oftentimes women in transition have lost faith in the possibility of achieving success due to a variety of conflicting factors. Among these factors are the lack of women role models available, the lack of understanding and experience in business, and the fear of making mistakes resulting in failure. With the help of a caring mentor, these roadblocks can be removed and these women can become self-sufficient and self-confident models of success.
The Mission of W2W:
Woman to Woman Mentoring creates mutual learning partnerships that connect women who desire personal growth and professional development through a mentoring relationship.