Our origin dates back to 1928 with the creation of the Colorado Springs Community Trust by visionary citizens who believed that the Pikes Peak region needed a way to build a permanent charitable endowment to improve the quality of life in our community. The Trust was a collection of separate trusts managed by three local banks: US Bank, Bank One and Wells Fargo.
In 1996, Michael Hannigan along with Board members of the Community Trust believed that a community foundation would be best situated to meet the needs of philanthropists. In 1998, the Pikes Peak Community Foundation and the Colorado Springs Community Trust begin operating alongside each other with combined administrative and grantmaking objectives. The Colorado Springs Community Trust was fully dissolved into Pikes Peak Community Foundation in 2009.
Since the first grant was made nearly 90 years ago, the Community Foundation has made over $70 million in grants to nonprofit organizations in our region.