The Living Soil
Organic farming requires paying close attention to the health of the soil. Students will learn that soil is far more than lifeless dirt. Soil is a complex mixture that provides plants the water and nutrients they need to grow. Sharing the soil with the plants is a rich mixture of living organisms. Creating a balanced, healthy soil is part science and part art, and the farmer must practice both.
Through a mix of stories, experiments and explorations, including digging in the dirt in search of subterranean creatures, students will learn about the very ground beneath our feet.
- ALL CLASSES HAVE A 15 STUDENT MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR SPRING AND FALL, 25 STUDENT MINIMUM FOR SUMMER FARM TOURS.
- TEACHERS AND CHAPERONES ARE ENCOURAGED AND ARE NOT CHARGED AN ATTENDANCE FEE.
- SUGGESTED RATIO IS 1 ADULT PER 5 STUDENTS (COUNTING THE CLASSROOM TEACHER AND 1 STAFF FROM VENETUCCI).
- ALL CLASSES ARE HELD OUTDOORS. PLEASE DRESS FOR THE WEATHER, AND HAVE STUDENTS BRING THE FOLLOWING :
*Closed Toe Shoes.
STUDENTS MIGHT ALSO NEED: *Warm clothes and rain jackets
Classes Begin April 5, 2016
Tuesdays & Thursdays – 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
To Register please contact David Rudin, Education Coordinator, 389-1251
- Soil is made up of different kinds and sizes of particles
- Soil has both living and non-living elements
- Plants get nutrients & water from the soil
- Worms help aerate and fertilize the soil
- Composting helps return nutrients to the soil
- Humus is a key component of soil
- Top soil is an essential natural resource that takes a long time to create and a short time to lose.
Colorado Science Standards:
Each class at Venetucci Farm is tailored to the needs and interests of groups from preschool to college. We will work with each individual teacher to find out what their class needs are and to emphasize the appropriate grade level science benchmarks.
*Venetucci Farm’s policy is to not turn away groups due to financial need. Please contact David Rudin, Education Coordinator in such instances.
To Register: please contact, David Rudin, Education Coordinator at Venetucci Farm, 389-1251, x112.